Suggestions to Minimize Your Risk and potentially Improve Your Sleep, Memory And Mood that you can Do Now:
- The tips here are just the highlights from many different sources. See more detailed info/list here, here and here and/or search the web.
- Spend as much time out in nature as you can, as often as possible (esp. when having symptoms)
- Ground by going barefoot or putting bare hands directly on the Earth, trees, rocks, etc
- Lie flat on the grass to resynchronize the rhythms of your physiological systems with the natural EMF frequency of the Earth ("Schumann Resonance")
- Spend as much time as possible in wilderness areas where there's no cell/wifi/smart meter coverage: Go Camping! Go Backpacking!
- Reduce exposure to radiation: Do not stand near microwave ovens while they are operating. Also stay as far as you can from from these other sources of wireless radiation: WiFi/wireless internet, bluetooth, Smart Meters and GPS devices (use only when absolutely necessary and put as much distance between you and the transmitter as possible), and...
... especially ...
** Reduce/Eliminate Cell and Cordless Phone Usage (especially phones in the 2.4 GHz or greater frequency range). Avoid the new Cordless DECT phones completely, as they operate at a particularly harmful frequency range and strength, and emit radation from the base station continuously (not just while you're using the phone). **
- Turn off WiFi in your house and use an ethernet cord. Like modern cordless phones, WiFi is also 24/7 exposure that's especially bad when you're sleeping (cellular regeneration, rejuvenation, and detoxification is impeded and notably melatonin production can be significantly reduced, which impairs the brain's ability to reach deep, Delta-rhythm sleep = "body lacks sufficient energy required for repair, regeneration, immune function and hormone synthesis. So, you are not only sleeping poorly and suffering from lack of sleep, you are also de-tuning the cellular power-plants and your body deteriorates faster allowing any number of disease states to take over the cells."). Techies or those who want to go deeper into modern technology's effects on sleep (fascinating), click here. If that's not reason enough to value your neighbors' and your health and well-being above the convenience of a wireless internet connection, at least turn the intensity down to minimize how much you irradiate your neighbors as well as everyone and everything in your own home — pets and food included. (I have WiFi off and use a wired ethernet cable. Just for testing, however, I turned on the WiFi on my AT&T modem/router, and then lowered the signal strength from 100% to 10%, and I still had full coverage and speed everywhere in my house. Turning the WiFi off/down is a bit tricky to do; please call if you need help...either me or your internet provider's tech support.) Turn WiFi-enabled wireless routers off completely at night, and definitely don't put the router in or near anyone in the house's bedroom!
- Challenge yourself to break mobile phone addiction: Use a land-line phone whenever possible!
- When you must use a cell or cordless phone: 1) Use as sparingly as possible, 2) Keep phone as far from your body as possible, 3) Use 900MHz cordless phones if possible (the old ones; especially avoid the new DECT phones), 4) Use in speaker phone mode or with a AIRTUBE headset, and 5) Text instead of calling whenever you can. Also, when you buy, factor cell phone radiation levels into your purchase decision (CNET List of Cell Phone Models and Their Radiation Levels, EWG's List of Cell Phone Radiation Levels).
[ I researched, bought, tested, and returned several air-tube-type headsets. The Blue TUBE Headset -- not to be confused with blueTOOTH headsets -- was (past tense!) the best one in terms of comfort and quality/volume of sound in 2008. But, they changed the design, and I now offer this caveat: Some find Mercola's current Blue TUBE Headset (which has no ear hook, no volume control, and what I consider an inferior microphone) just fine...and, others hate it. I think it depends on your phone.
Update 4/6/18 - Cordless "Landline" Phones: Unwilling to use a corded phone in your home, but want to avoid the EMF radiation exposure of a cell phone (or the cordless landline phones that can be even worse)? Below are a few examples of reduced radiation cordless phone options from a German manufacturer (more radiation than a corded phone, but less than a cell phone, and much less than today's cordless phones). [ Look for "ECO Mode Plus" = this mode turns off the base station's transmission of EMF/RF radiation when phone's not in use. Some US-sold models may only have "ECO Mode" = reduces amount of radiation between base station and handset when phone's in use, but the base still transmits and bathes you, your entire home, and your neighbors in radiation 24/7 (just like all other cordless phones). ]
Note1: If you DO go with a reduced radiation cordless phone (similar to one of the options above), I'd strongly suggest getting one with a headset jack, and using a radiation-free (airtube) headset (usually the smaller, 2.5mm size for cordless phones)...so you can keep the handset as far from you as possible while talking. I'd also clip on a ferrite bead (cheaper, here), which stops the radiation from traveling up the wired part of the headset. If the cordless phone doesn't have a headset jack, I'd either use it primarily in hands-free/speaker-phone mode, or find one that does have have the jack (When you do find other options to the above, please send me links so I can share them! Here's a good place to start looking). I'd also make sure you turn off any Bluetooth/wireless phonebook sync features that some phones have. Also might be of value: Blocsocks, and other phone pouches
Note2: If you do NOT go with a reduced radiation cordless phone (similar to one of the options above), using cell phone best practices (and with a radiation-free headset/ferrite bead/shielded case safety kit) might actually be a safer option than a cordless landline: Cordless Phones: Even More Dangerous Than Cell Phones?
Note3: Since low-radiation tech is suppressed in the US (to sustain the mainstream brainwashing/disinformation that, "wireless tech is completely safe, buy more!"), it's generally better to purchase from outside the US (where the truth is more generally known/honored). As such, however, there may be some configuration you will need to do, in order to use these phones with both Eco Mode and Eco Mode Plus enabled in the US. Eg, this was posted by an Amazon reviewer, "The phone was shipped with a Europe to US plug adapter. Once you put the phone in ECO DECT mode, the phone automatically reduces its transmission power (low range and lower radiation) and when the phone is not in use it goes into radiation-free mode (no constant radiation exposure). The only painful part was that the phone is setup in German. I downloaded the English manual online and figured out how to change the language on the phone. The phone is definitely worth purchasing if you are concerned with emf exposure."
Update 9/1/14 - Cell Phones: I just did a bunch of new research and ordered headsets with the larger, 3.5mm jack (newer cell phones) from a few vendors. As a result, I now use and recommend the full kit from rfsafe.com — mono (single bud) rad-free headset (cheaper version I haven't tested), ferrite bead, and a shielded case (choose the graphene-shielded G-Series case if available for your phone, F-series kit including case if G-Series is not available for your phone, or the DIY case if neither G- or F- Series is available for your phone). I haven't tested any of these, but they're recommended by the guy at norad4u.com who seems very knowledgable. If you have an older phone, with the smaller, 2.5mm jack, those headsets are still available at lessemf.com. Of course, you can also search on "air-tube, radiation-free headset" on google/froogle and ebay. If you find a good one, please let me know so I can post it here for others benefit! Potentially cool and of interest, especially if you don't have a land-line...ie, you use just a cell phone at home: Tawkon Retro Handset
[ HINT: The rad-free headsets are delicate. Gently coil and store in a sandwich or small ziplock bag when not using (no need to zip the ziplock) - esp. before putting into your purse, fanny pack, pocket, etc - and they'll last much longer! ]
- If you have an Android phone, install the free Tawkon app — it will tell you when the radiation spikes on your phone and what to do about it!
- Do not use wired headsets
[ The wire acts as an antenna, just like the one on your car stereo--ie, collecting and concentrating the radiation by up to 300% and then delivering it right to your inner ear. Ie, wired headsets are up to 3 times more dangerous than putting the phone up to your head! Use in speaker-phone mode or with an air-tube type headset, and keep the cell or cordless phone as far from your body as possible during use. I've measured this myself with my own meter, but here are some references: 1, 2, 3 ]
- Do not use BlueTooth, in-the-ear headset/earpieces, either [they have a wireless transmitter inside and are a source of radiation themselves...that you also put right into your inner ear, bypassing much of the natural protection your skull provides]. Use in speaker-phone mode or with an air-tube type headset, and keep the cell or cordless phone as far from your body as possible during use.
- Your Car is the Worst Place to Use Cordless Devices:
- Bluetooth (many new cars have this, allowing you to talk on your cell and hear the conversation over the car speakers): While bluetooth is generally a lower intensity radiation, it's pulsed radiation (the most harmful kind) which is now permeating you and everyone else in your car, in addition to that of the operation cell phone, even if it's not directly in your ear (ie, when using one of those dorky, cordless bluetooth earpieces).
- As your car acts as a Faraday Cage that blocks a good portion of the EM/Electro-Magnetic radiation that comprise cell phone signals, your phone/tablet/etc. has to amp up the intensity of the signal in order to get in/out of the car. So, your car is one of the worst places to use a cell phone, tablet or other wireless technology. But, if you must use your cell from inside your car (get out if you're stopped!), it's better to turn off your car's bluetooth (consult your manual or dealer/mechanic), and then use the shielded case/ferrite bead/airtube headset combo, or in speaker-phone mode.
- Check Before You Buy: EMF Ratings for Cars
- Check After You Buy: Practical tips on How to Minimize EMF Radiation in Cars
- Keep cell and cordless phones as far from your body as possible unless they are completely powered off. (Your cell phone emits an intermittent signal even when you're not talking on it. The base station of 2.4GHz and greater cordless phones--especially DECT phones--emits a continuous stream of radiation at maximum power, even when nobody is speaking on them! Most 900MHz base stations only emit radiation when a call comes in.) In addition, I suggest looking into Safer Cordless Phones, BlocSocks, and AirTube Headsets, and other solutions (protective fabrics/clothing, paints, bed canopies, WiFi alternatives, etc)
- Contact your utility company and opt out of Smart Meters. If you feel you need motivation or research to cite to do so, or cannot do so for some reason, see this article on Smart Meter Reseach & Shielding Tips
- A/C Electric & Magnetic Fields and EMI/Dirty Power: Move any electrical devices as far away from bed/sleep areas as possible (or vice versa), including your alarm clock/radio, stereo, flat screen or CRT TV, dimmer switches, computer & monitor, phone/battery chargers, refrigerators/stoves, low-energy lights (CFL, LED, ESL), DECT cordless phones & base stations, WiFi modems/routers, UPS battery system, washer/dryer, etc. Especially, do not leave a plugged-in cell or cordless phone charging near your bed. (Put in a $10 land-line phone in your bedroom...which is also extremely useful during a power outage [cordless phones won't work] or a disaster [cell network could be down or overloaded].)
Spend minimal time near electric-powered appliances (refrigerator, oven, computer, printer, stereo, washer/dryer, etc), especially when they're plugged in (many still emit a strong electric and/or magnetic field when plugged in, even when not turned on).
In terms of EMI/dirty electricity, pay special attention to these items: Solar System Inverters (converting DC power to AC power), PLC Smart Meters (sending data over the powerlines by adding additional frequencies), Wireless Smart Meters that add pulsed frequencies to the powerlines, CFL Lightbulbs, Light Dimmer Switches, Electrical devices in your home and on the grid that have a switch-mode power supply (SMPS), Wireless technology (all wireless frequencies conduct along copper wiring to some extent).
- iPads, Tablets, etc. (Use in airplane mode — ie, with WiFi, Cell, and bluetooth off whenever possible or not connected to internet. Keep as far from your body as you can (hint: external keyboard!). Do not use on your lap — or, if you "must" use on your lap, at least use a suitable shield such as this or this for laptops, or similar for tablets.)
- 10 Cell Phone Radiation Protection Tips
- EWG's 8 Tips to Reduce Cell Phone Radiation Exposure (I'd ignore what they say about headsets in deference to what I say above, tho)
- Find Hot-Spots in Your Neighborhood (Put in your address and get the locations of towers/antenna's near you)
- Get your home, office, and classroom EMF levels surveyed by someone knowledgeable about ElectroSmog, who also has the proper meters to measure the 4 different kinds. Implement as many of their suggestions as you can, as soon as possible.
Keep this page alive and updated as our technology advances and proliferates! (Figuring out what instruments to buy to do direct research, purchasing those, doing the testing, as well as sorting through all the research and claims of others...to find the Truth...then honing all that info down to just what you need...and keeping both the info and the links on this page updated...takes a LOT of time/energy — research donations deeply appreciated!)
LIGHT / CIRCADIAN RHYTHMS / SLEEP CYCLES:
* First, take the free Circadian Rhythm Test to assess your sleep cycles
* I read for a half-hour each morning using the bluewave, goLITE P2 light that I got on sale at Costco online. This gets me reading more, and has definite positive effects on my sleep at night, and on my mood, motivation and energy levels during the day (especially in the winter).
LIGHT / SOUND / MUSIC:
* MindFit -- Uses sychnronized patterns of light, sound and soothing music (Brainwave Entrainment, Binaural Beats) to put you into a very relaxed state...and, optionally, music and messages you choose (altered-state programming) to help you fall asleep/sleep deeply through the night, solve problems in your dreams, address insomnia via the subconscious, wake up feeling refreshed and energized, etc. (Actually, there are other messages and altered-state programming sessions you can use for many things in addition to sleep/relaxation.)
* Fresh leaf tea of Lemon Balm, Melissa (Melissa officinalis) - 2-4 teaspoons of dried herb per cup of boiling water
* Root tea, tinture or extract of Valerian (Valeriana officinalis,
Valeriana sitchensis) 30 min before going to bed - or, 150-300
milligrams of a standardized extract (.8% valeric acid)
TOGETHER: 160 milligrams of valerian + 80 milligrams of lemon balm extracts
* Fresh or dried whole plant tea of Passion Flower, Maypop (Passiflora incarnata)
* Dried flower tea of German, Hungarian, or Wild Chamomile (Chamomilla recutita, Matricaria chamomillla)
* Tea from California Poppy flower petals - add handful to cup of water after it stops boiling
* Tea of flowers of Lavander (Lavadula angustifolia) - 2 teaspoons to cup of boiling water (honey optional)
* Whole plant tea of oats (Avena sativa)
* Catnip (Nepeta cataria) tea 45 min before bedtime
* Smoke or make tea of fruits of Hops (Humulus lupulus)
* Rooibos (Aspalathus linearis)
* Strong tea of Mad-dog Skullcap (Scutellaria lateriflora)
* Weak leaf tea of Virgin's Bower (Clematis virginiana)
* Pink or Large Yellow Lady's-Slipper, Moccasin-Flower, American Valerian (Cypripedium acaule)
* Tea of whole plant of Feverfew (Chrysanthemum parthenium, Tanactum parthenium)
* Leaf tea of Motherwort (Leonurus cardiaca)
* Leaf tea of Bee-Balm, Oswego Tea (Monada didyma)
* Leaf tea of Wild Bergamot, Purple Bee-balm (Monarda fistulosa)
* Leaf tea of Perilla (Perilla frutescens)
* (Root?) Tea of Figwort (Scrophularia marilandica)
For Insomnia: passionflower + valerian + California poppy
For Anxiety that may cause insomnia: California poppy + hawthorn + hops
Stressful situations that could contribute to insomnia: 2 parts each of chamomile, lemon balm and linden with 1 part orange peel
2 parts each passionflower and California poppy
1 part each St. John's wort, skull cap, and lavendar
* Breath-centered meditation
* Relaxation exercises (tense [breathe in] and release [breathe out] each body part from feet to head)
(Here's good resource if you want help with the above and/or stress management in general: psmservices.com)
* Try using reverse psychology on yourself: Some experts recommend getting up if you're laying there unable to sleep for more than 30-45 minutes. In those cases, you might try just giving up trying to sleep. For example: get up, turn on the light, and read or go do something until you feel sleepy and able to fall asleep. Alternatively, you might attempt to do an "all-nighter." (You'll likely run out of steam eventually and feel sleepy again. Either way, at least you won't be lying there getting more agitated because you can't sleep...and, you'll probably get something useful done, too. :)
* Relaxing music along with any/all of the above
(Worry about not sleeping keeps you up: Remind yourself that it won't be the end of the world if you don't get all the sleep you think you need. You will be fine tomorrow even if you get no sleep. Sometimes, I actually function *better* on little or no sleep. Too much sleep can leave you "groggy," down, or, ironically, sleepy. Sleep deprivation, on the other hand, is a natural intervention for depression and can have positive effects to mood and energy level when used sporadically.)
* L-Tryptophan (500mg along with vitamin B6, niacinamide, and magnesium and hour or so before bedtime)
* Melatonin (5-20mg per night before going to sleep; also for reseting a jetlag-ed body)
* Inositol (lethicin, liver, wheat germ, brown rice, citrus fruits, nuts, cereals) - if can't get in natural form (best), then take in the form of myo-inositol to a maximum of 1,000mg daily
* Add 1-3 drops each of lavender (Lavandula) oil and lemon balm (melissa) to bath or bed clothes before bed
BEWARE: Spanish lavendar can be stimulating...ask and try to see which you have
* 1-2 drops of lavender or chamomile oil in bath; follow bath with tea
of 1 teaspoon each of St. John's wort and chamomile, then bed
* Place dried leaves of Mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris) or Western
Mugwort, White Sage, Cudweed (Artemisia ludoviciana) between pillow and
pillow case or next to bed
* Fill pillow with oatstraw or hops
* Use Vetiver ("the oil of tranquility") in massage and baths
* Orange, mandarin
* 2-3 drops of essential oil of camomile to bath water to soothe emotional problems
Add 1-3 cups of chamomile tea to bath water
Jin Shin Jyutsu says to work energetically to resolve disharmony in the Heart and Liver energies. I can't do those flows on you from here, but maybe you have access to someone who can do something similar?
Here's a simple JSJ flow you can do on yourself (I recommended this to a friend who had stiffness in her leg, and was also anxious and couldn't sleep. This flow will also help joint pains, arthritis, rheumatism, neuralgia..as well as calming nervousness to bring on sleep):
1) Put opposite hand on the inside side of the ankle of the leg you're working on
2) Put same side hand in the indentation just behind the outside ankle of the leg you're working on
3) Touch lightly with just 3 fingers (1st, 2nd and 3rd of each hand)
4) Hold until the pulses in both hands synchronize (sense the pulse in the 3 fingers of your right hand, sense the pulse in the 3 fingers of your left hand, allow them to come into harmony = beating at the same rate at the same time)
5) Repeat for the other leg if desired
FOODS (avoid heavy meals late at night):
* Basil, thyme, tangerines, tomatoes
* Cinnamon, spearmint, red pepper, pennyroyal, oranges
* Apricot jam
* Drink a glass of warm apple cider vinegar with honey 30 min before bed
* Cow's milk (warm if you like)
* Yuan Zhi: Polygala tenuifolia, Chinese senega root, polygala = calms
spirit and quiets heart, especially when too much thinking (in cases of
anxiety, insomnia, palpitations or forgetfulness)
* Ren Shen: Panax ginseng, ginseng root, "man root" = benefits the Heart
Qi and calms the spirit (in cases of anxiety, insomnia, palpitations or
* Ye Jiao Teng: Polygonus multiflorum, fleeceflower vine
* Shu Di Huang: Rehmannia glutinosa, Chinese foxglove root cooked in wine
* Wu Wei Zi: Schisandra chinensis, schisandra fruit
* Suan Zao Ren: Ziziphus spinosa, sour jujube seed
Thought for Today: Worry is just needless suffering. When
you decide you've suffered enough, ask yourself: "Can I do anything
about this now?" If so, go do it. If not, banish the
worrying thoughts from your mind. Anything else is just self
torture, robbing you of the richness of life (or sleep & dreams!) and serving no one.
Reclaim Your Brain - the most powerful tool for health/healing/relaxation that exists!
(I use and recommend this fun tool, developed after 30+ years of research
by psychologist Dr. Patrick Porter, Ph.D, to reprogram the unconscious mind)
<< back to other Natural Remedies >>