- ElectroSmog is a general, catch-all term encompassing ElectroMagnetic Field Radiation and Interference. In the reference videos/studies below, it's referred to as: EMF, EMR, RF, or as EMI/Electrical Noise/Dirty Electricity (aka high frequency voltage transients). Below, I mostly address just the Radio Frequency Wireless Electromagnetic Radiation segment of the ElectroSmog spectrum (ie, RF EMR or just RF). (RF is the range of frequencies of EMR from 3kHz to 300GHz.) The portion of RF EMR in which we're primarily interested is also known as "Microwave Radiation", since the radiation from your microwave, cell phone, WiFi, etc. all currently operate around the same 2.4GHz "microwave" frequency. However, WiFi is being boosted to 5GHz and beyond now, similar to how cordless phones were pushed from 900 MHz to 2.4 GHz, and then to 5.8 GHz a few years ago. In the US, no testing is currently done before the release of these new technologies. So, effectively, we are the experiments to determine how safe it is to bombard the human nervous system with these new frequencies of EMR that don't exist in nature — ie, to which the systems of the human body have never been exposed. In general, tho, higher frequency = more energy = more potential to disrupt and damage the delicate bio-energetic balance of the human brain/body. Higher frequency, from the perspective of your wireless toys, also means more range, more data bandwidth/speed, and less signal interference = what the masses are asking/paying for = what the industry is delivering = most likely to continue being delivered while the demand continues.
- EMI/Electrical Noise/Dirty Power, and the effects of A/C electric and magnetic fields are segments of the ElectroSmog spectrum that also appear to be quite serious. I am just starting to study these. Although I've begun research on which meters to buy, I don't currently have any of the expensive and highly-specialized tools required to measure these artifacts. These effects can come from all electronic devices (non-wireless devices as well as wireless), such as your alarm clock/radio, stereo, TV, computer & monitor, hair dryer, phone/battery chargers, refrigerator/stove, DECT cordless phones & base stations, WiFi modems/routers, UPS battery system, washer/dryer, etc. — especially Solar System Inverters (converting DC power to AC power), PLC Smart Meters (sending data over the powerlines by adding additional frequencies), Wireless Smart Meters that add pulsed frequencies to the powerlines, CFL Lightbulbs, Light Dimmer Switches, Electrical devices in your home/on the grid that have a switch-mode power supply (SMPS), and Wireless technology (all wireless frequencies conduct along copper wiring to some extent). [ This is the origin of the tip below that mentions so many NON-wireless devices (near bottom of the Suggestions section). ]
- To Find The Truth, Follow the $Dollar$: The multi-billion dollar wireless/telecom industry has done a massive dis-information campaign, spending hundreds of millions of dollars to fund rigged "research" to Create Public dOuBT while simultaneously exerting corporate control over the regulatory agencies (FCC, EPA, FDA, etc) to suppress and ignore reams of evidence and research proving that extended exposure to this type of radiation (in the same frequency range as your microwave oven) opens the blood-brain barrier (allowing toxins in the blood to enter the especially sensitive neurons of the brain), causes disruption in cellular communication, and even cellular and DNA damage (which then replicates to new cells), etc. (Obviously, it's in those corporations' best financial interest for you to neither know nor believe the actual health effects of their products. The truth is currently more available in Non-US countries, such as those of Europe and Australia, however...the research showing that .5 hour/day of cell use for 10 years doubles adult risk of brain and other tumors, much more so in children.)
- Recent News
- Type your symptoms in "Search" box to see if they might be from EMFs (searchable database of research studies on bio-effects of EMF/EMR/EMI)
- Common Short-term Symptoms include insomnia/disruptive sleep patterns, headaches, memory loss, lethargy/chronic fatigue, depression, dizziness, hypersensitivity and allergies, rashes and skin complaints, behavioral patterns in children, nausea, heart palpitations/tachycardia, concentration problems (eg, ADD/Attention Deficit Disorder), ear ringing/tinnitus, irritability/agitation/aggression, weakened immune system/chronic illness, blood disorders, and erratic blood pressure. [ References: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 = University of Washington Bioengineering Dept Research Study on Genetic Effects of Non-Ionizing Electromagnetic Fields ]
- Common Long-term Symptoms (after ~10 years) include Neurogenerative sickness, "increased risk of brain tumors, as well as increased risk of eye cancer, salivary gland tumors, testicular cancer, non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and leukemia." [ References: 1, 2, 3, 4 ]
- International Experts Scientific Research Group Health Report (RF/Wireless Only) (summary of many scientific studies reporting biological effects and adverse health effects relevant for cell towers, WI-FI, 'smart' wireless utility meters, wireless laptops, baby monitors, cell phones and cordless phones.)
- Table of Health Effects of EMF Radiation (RF/Wireless Only) (summary of scientific studies at different intensity levels)
- Latest Compilation of EMF Medical Research Literature from Dr. Martin Pall (PhD, Professor Emeritus of Biochemistry and Basic Medical Sciences, Washington State University) (click on "here" portion of "Download here")
- I've done years of research on this, and have verified most of this with the meters that I've purchased, but feel free to research it yourself. Here are some places to start (in addition to the numbered references following the symptom lists above :) that include helpful solutions, too: US GOVERNMENT/Naval Research Institute report on Biological Effects from Microwave Radiation, 1971!, Personal Stories of Fire Lookout Workers Near Cell Towers, Informative Videos (30 sec to 6 min), Electropollution and the Health Decline of a Nation, http://www.wireless-protection.org/, http://www.emfields.org/publications/overview.asp, CNET article, Cellphone and Brain Tumors: 15 Reasons for Concern, Science, Spin and the Truth Behind Interphone, EMF Resource Library, Dr. Mercola's article, Are You Zapped? (Quick Lifestyle Quiz, etc).
- Dirty Electricity: Electrification and the Diseases of Civilization is a book by one of the country's most noted physician-epidemiologists, Smauel MilHam, MD, MPH (4.6/5 stars, Amazon), and THE BIOINITIATIVE REPORT 2012 A Rationale for Biologically-based Public Exposure Standards for EMFs, and the Environmental Working Group's comprehensive, 10-month science evaluation of the hazards of cell phone radiation (includes data from 200+ peer-reviewed studies, government advisories, and industry docs)
- BBC TV Show on WiFi vs Cell Phone Radiation (how evidence is viewed/acted on in different European countries, esp wrt schools)
- Hear what Dr. G. Carlo (lead 6 year, $28.5 million study for the mobile industry) tells users about "the behind-the-scenes story"
Dr. George Carlo is the author of this book, Cell Phones: Invisible Hazards in the Wireless Age: An Insider's Alarming Discoveries about Cancer and Genetic Damage (4.2/5 stars Amazon reviews)
- PhD epidemiologist Dr. Magda Havas's website is full of up-to-date info.
Dr. Magda Havas has authored a book that is a great companion piece to Dr. Milham's groundbreaking research: Public Health SOS: The Shadow Side Of The Wireless Revolution (4.5/5 stars Amazon reviews)
- PARENTS & those Interested in the Future of our Society: WiFi in schools: "A tragedy in the making" ~ Dr. G. Carlo
- 5000+ studies listed in 1000+ documents (plus searchable database of research studies on bio-effects of EMF/EMR/EMI = type symptoms in Search box to see if they might be from EMFs)
- Cell Phone Usage Impacts on Wildlife
- 5G: Are Concerns Justified? — See Also: Dr. Pall's Free Online Book on 5G and Audio Interview on 5G with Prof. Pall (PhD, Professor Emeritus of Biochemistry and Basic Medical Sciences, Washington State University)
- Convert Your Concerns to Actions! You can also join 180+ scientists, doctors, and environmental organizations from 35 countries and Sign the International Appeal to the World's Governments to Stop 5G on Earth and in Space. If you're a parent or you really want to go for it, click here.
Suggestions to Minimize Your Risk and potentially Improve Your Sleep, Memory And Mood that you can Do Now:
If you must use them, please note the recommended distances (in green) for EMF-generating devices
- Please don't let this list overwhelm you: I suggest just picking one or two things you can do easily to start with, then come back in a couple weeks and consider a couple more. :-)
- The tips below are just highlights from many different sources. More Detailed Precautionary Info here and here. Click here to become a full EMF Superhero.
- Spend as much time out in nature as you can, as often as possible (esp. when having symptoms)
- EMF levels in nature are generally orders of magnitude(!) lower than in buildings/urban areas — spending time there allows your system to recouperate!
- Ground by going barefoot or putting bare hands directly on the Earth, trees, rocks, grass, etc
- Lie flat on the grass to resynchronize the rhythms of your physiological systems with the natural EMF frequency of the Earth ("Schumann Resonance")
- Spend as much time as possible in wilderness areas where there's no cell/wifi/smart meter coverage: Go Camping! Go Backpacking!
- Reduce exposure to EMF radiation: Do not sit/stand near electrical appliances while they are plugged in and, particularly, while they are operating (especially microwave ovens and WiFi/bluetooth devices such as "smart" TV's/thermostats/toothbrushes/locks/smoke detectors, wireless speakers/printers/security cameras, digital assistants/Alexa/Amazon Echo, cordless kitchen appliances, etc.); unplug when not in use (put on a power strip with a rocker switch to make it easy to turn on/off); turn off everything electrical in your sleeping area; put bed at least 5 feet from electrical outlets. Also, use wireless devices only when necessary, shield them, and put as much distance between you and them as possible (eg, WiFi, bluetooth, GPS devices, baby monitors, smart meters, and, of course, cordless and mobile phones).
- Don't use wireless headphones, other wireless/bluetooth/in-the-ear gadgets, or wireless baby monitors (unless you get a Safe Baby Monitor)
- Turn off WiFi in your house and use an ethernet cord. Like modern cordless phones, WiFi is also 24/7 exposure that's especially bad when you're sleeping (cellular regeneration, rejuvenation, and detoxification are impeded and notably melatonin production can be significantly reduced, which impairs the brain's ability to reach deep, Delta-rhythm sleep = "body lacks sufficient energy required for repair, regeneration, immune function and hormone synthesis. So, you are not only sleeping poorly and suffering from lack of sleep, you are also de-tuning the cellular power-plants and your body deteriorates faster allowing any number of disease states to take over the cells.").
- How to Set Up a Low-EMF Internet Connection
- Techies or those who want to go deeper into modern technology's effects on sleep (fascinating), click here.
- If that's not reason enough to value your neighbors' and your health and well-being above the convenience of a wireless internet connection, at least shield the router using something like a router guard, wave cage, signal tamer, etc...and/or turn the intensity down to minimize how much you irradiate your neighbors as well as everyone and everything in your own home — pets and food included. (I have WiFi off and use a wired ethernet cable. Just for testing, however, I turned on the WiFi on my AT&T modem/router, and then lowered the signal strength from 100% to 10%, and I still had full coverage and speed everywhere in my house. Turning the WiFi off/down is a bit tricky to do; please call if you need help...either me or your internet provider's tech support.) Turn WiFi-enabled wireless routers off completely at night, and definitely don't put the router in or near any bedrooms!
- Laptops, iPads, Tablets, etc: (click on respective links for a good articles on minimizing laptop and tablet exposure)
- Do not use on your lap. [ If you "must" use on your lap, at least use a suitable shield such as this or this for laptops, or similar for tablets. ]
- Use in airplane mode — ie, with WiFi, cell/mobile, and bluetooth off — whenever possible or not connected to internet.
- Keep device as far from your body as you can
- Don't touch the device unless necessary, especially when plugged in. [ Ie, use an external keyboard (best) or run off the battery (when not plugged in the electric and magnetic field exposure of the device is reduced, tho not eliminated). ]
- Ground and/or shield your device (I haven't personally tested these 2 products, since I just found out about them. But, I plan to purchase and test them. Contact me if you want an update. :)
- Contact your utility company and opt out of Smart Meters. If you feel you need motivation or research to cite to do so, or cannot do so for some reason, see this article on Smart Meter Reseach & Shielding Tips and, secondarily, this Smart Meter Shield
- A/C Electric & Magnetic Fields and Dirty Power/EMI: Move any electrical devices as far away from bed/sleep areas as possible (or vice versa), including your alarm clock/radio, stereo, flat screen or CRT TV, dimmer switches, computer & monitor, phone/battery chargers, refrigerators/stoves, low-energy lights (CFL, LED, ESL), DECT cordless phones & base stations, WiFi modems/routers, UPS battery system, washer/dryer, etc. Especially, do not leave a plugged-in cell or cordless phone charging near your bed. (Put in a $10 land-line phone in your bedroom...which is also extremely useful during a power outage [cordless phones won't work] or a disaster [cell network could be down or overloaded].)
Spend minimal time near electric-powered appliances (refrigerator, oven, computer, printer, stereo, washer/dryer, etc) while they're plugged in (many still emit a strong electric and/or magnetic field when plugged in, even when not turned on).
In terms of EMI/dirty electricity, pay special attention to these items: Solar System Inverters (converting DC power to AC power), PLC Smart Meters (sending data over the powerlines by adding additional frequencies), Wireless Smart Meters that add pulsed frequencies to the powerlines, CFL Lightbulbs, Light Dimmer Switches, Electrical devices in your home and on the grid that have a switch-mode power supply (SMPS), Wireless technology (all wireless frequencies conduct along copper wiring to some extent).
- Spices may reduce damage: Researchers have discovered certain spices may help prevent or repair damage from peroxynitrites. Spices rich in phenolics, specifically cloves, rosemary, turmeric, cinnamon and ginger root exhibited some protective capacity against peroxynitrite-induced damage.
[ However, while this is good news, it is not a reason to ignore strategies that reduce your exposure to electromagnetic radiation, since your home is not the only place you are at risk. Any public venue that hosts Wi-Fi or has a cellular tower nearby increases your exposure to RF/microwave radiation. ]
- Reduce/Eliminate Cell and Cordless Phone Usage (especially phones in the 2.4 GHz or greater frequency range). Avoid Cordless DECT Phones Completely, as they operate at a particularly harmful frequency range and strength, and emit radation from the base station continuously, 24/7 (not just while you're using the phone)!
- Challenge yourself to break cellphone addiction: Keep mobile calls short and use a (corded) land-line phone whenever possible
- Keep mobile phones off (or in airplane mode) as much as possible (especially at night and whenever not in use)
- Keep cell and cordless phones as far from your body as possible unless they are completely powered off (ie, never store in pocket/bra/on belt/etc: keep in bag/backpack/briefcase/etc).
[ Your cell phone emits an intermittent signal even when you're not talking on it. The base station of 2.4GHz and greater cordless phones--especially DECT phones--emits a continuous stream of radiation at maximum power, even when nobody is speaking on the phone! Most 900MHz base stations only emit radiation when a call comes in.) In addition, I suggest looking into Safer Cordless Phones, BlocSocks, and AirTube Headsets, and other solutions (protective fabrics/clothing, paints, bed canopies, WiFi alternatives, etc. ]
- Minimize cellphone use, in particular, when network quality is low (2 bars or below), you're in a car, and/or the mobile phone is functioning at maximum power
- When you "must" use a cell or cordless phone:
(if you must have a cordless phone in your home, use an old, 900MHz cordless phone from a thrift store)
- Text instead of calling whenever you can
- Avoid cordless DECT phones
- When purchasing, factor cell phone radiation levels into your decision (CNET List of Cell Phone Models and Their Radiation Levels, EWG's List of Cell Phone Radiation Levels).
- If you have an Android phone, install the free Tawkon app — it will tell you when the radiation spikes on your phone and what to do about it!
- Do not use wired headsets
[ The wire acts as an antenna, just like the one on your car stereo--ie, collecting and concentrating the radiation by up to 400% and then delivering it right to your inner ear. Ie, wired headsets are up to 4 times more dangerous than putting the phone up to your head! Use in speaker-phone mode or with an air-tube type headset, and keep the cell or cordless phone as far from your body as possible during use. I've measured this myself with my own meter, but here are some references: 1, 2, 3 ]
- Do not use BlueTooth, in-the-ear headset/earpieces, either [they have a wireless transmitter inside and are a source of radiation themselves...that you also put right into your inner ear, bypassing much of the natural protection your skull provides]. Use in speaker-phone mode or with an air-tube type headset, and keep the cell or cordless phone as far from your body as possible during use.
- Your Car is the Worst Place to Use Cordless Devices:
- Bluetooth (many new cars have this, allowing you to talk on your cell and hear the conversation over the car speakers): While bluetooth is generally a lower intensity radiation, it's pulsed radiation (the most harmful kind) which is now permeating you and everyone else in your car, in addition to that of the operation cell phone, even if it's not directly in your ear (ie, when using one of those dorky, cordless bluetooth earpieces).
- As your car acts as a Faraday Cage that blocks a good portion of the EM/Electro-Magnetic radiation that comprise cell phone signals, your phone/tablet/etc. has to amp up the intensity of the signal in order to get in/out of the car. So, your car is one of the worst places to use a cell phone, tablet or other wireless technology. But, if you must use your cell from inside your car (get out if you're stopped!), it's better to turn off your car's bluetooth (consult your manual or dealer/mechanic), and then use the shielded case/ferrite bead/airtube headset combo, or in speaker-phone mode.
- Check Before You Buy: EMF Ratings for Cars
- Check After You Buy: Practical tips on How to Minimize EMF Radiation in Cars
- 10 Cell Phone Radiation Protection Tips
- EWG's 5 Tips to Reduce Cell Phone Radiation Exposure (I'd ignore what they say about headsets in deference to what I say above, tho!)
- Use in speaker phone mode or with a AIRTUBE headset
[ I researched, bought, tested, and returned several air-tube-type headsets. The Blue TUBE Headset -- not to be confused with blueTOOTH headsets -- was (past tense!) the best one in terms of comfort and quality/volume of sound in 2008. But, they changed the design, and I now offer this caveat: Some find Mercola's current Blue TUBE Headset (which has no ear hook, no volume control, and what I consider an inferior microphone) just fine...and, others hate it. I think it depends on your phone. See Updates below for better Cordless and Mobile/Cell radiation-free headset options. ]
Updated 10/16/18 - Mobile/Cell Phones: I just did a bunch of new research and ordered headsets with the larger, 3.5mm jack (newer cell phones) from a few vendors. As a result, I now use and recommend a 3-piece cellphone kit:
- Mono (single bud) Radiation-free Headset
- Option: New Technology Headset that may be even better that I haven't purchased/tested
- More Options: Cheaper versions I haven't tested (go with the mono, not stereo, versions): 1, 2
- HINT: The rad-free headsets are delicate. Gently coil and store in a small ziplock bag when not using (no need to zip the ziplock) - esp. before putting into your purse, fanny pack, pocket, etc - and they'll last much longer!
- Ferrite Bead
- Shielded Case Options:
OTHER OPTIONS: I haven't tested any of these, but they're recommended by the guy at norad4u.com who seems very knowledgable. If you have an older phone, with the smaller, 2.5mm jack, those headsets are still available at lessemf.com. Of course, you can also search on "air-tube, radiation-free headset" on google/froogle and ebay. If you find a good one, please let me know so I can post it here for others benefit! Potentially cool and of interest, especially if you don't have a land-line...ie, you use just a cell phone at home: Tawkon Retro Handset
Update 4/6/18 - Cordless "Landline" Phones: Unwilling to use a corded phone in your home, can't find an old 900MHz phone at a thrift store, but want to avoid the EMF radiation exposure of a cell phone (or the cordless landline phones that can be even worse)? Below are a few examples of reduced radiation cordless phone options from a German manufacturer (more radiation than a corded phone, but less than a cell phone, and much less than today's cordless phones). [ Look for "ECO Mode Plus" = this mode turns off the base station's transmission of EMF/RF radiation when phone's not in use. Some US-sold models may only have "ECO Mode" = reduces amount of radiation between base station and handset when phone's in use, but the base still transmits and bathes you, your entire home, and your neighbors in radiation 24/7 (just like all other cordless phones). **CAVEAT: I'M CURRENTLY TRYING TO DETERMINE IF THERE'S A US VERSION, THAT WORKS WITH 120V POWER HERE (with ECO-DECT+, a 2.5mm headphone jack, and, ideally by not necessarily, VOIP capability), AS THE AUSTRALIAN VERSIONS ARE CONFIGURED TO RUN ON 240V AND WILL NEED A STEP UP TRANSFORMER (120V->240V) TO WORK HERE. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU FIND A CORDLESS PHONE THAT HAS THESE FEATURES!!** ]
- Background info plus many possible options
- This model has 2.5mm headset jack, Eco Mode Plus, and VOIP functionality! (**Though you can probably find it cheaper on Ebay, this phone is my current recommendation from what I've found out there; additional handset available here. While I haven't tried this, I believe the VOIP functionality enables you to connect the phone directly to your router, bypass your phone company, and call anywhere in the world for free via skype or similar — if not interested in this now or in the future, see next link below.)
- Eco Mode Plus, with headset jack - looks like cheaper version of phone above w/o VOIP functionality (additional handset available)
- Dual-headset version of above from another vendor (non-VOIP)
- This model has 2.5mm headset jack and pretty sure it has Eco Mode Plus?
- Has headset jack, not sure if has Eco Mode Plus if purchased in US?
- Eco Mode Plus can be enabled with manual configuration, no headset jack
Note1: If you DO go with a reduced radiation cordless phone (similar to one of the options above), I'd strongly suggest getting one with a headset jack, and using a radiation-free (airtube) headset (usually the smaller, 2.5mm size for cordless phones)...so you can keep the handset as far from you as possible while talking. I'd also clip on a ferrite bead (cheaper, here), which stops the radiation from traveling up the wired part of the headset. If the cordless phone doesn't have a headset jack, I'd either use it primarily in hands-free/speaker-phone mode, or find one that does have have the jack (When you do find other options to the above, please send me links so I can share them! Here's a good place to start looking). I'd also make sure you turn off any Bluetooth/wireless phonebook sync features that some phones have. Also might be of value: Blocsocks, and other phone pouches
Note2: If you do NOT go with a reduced radiation cordless phone (similar to one of the options above), using cell phone best practices (and with a radiation-free headset/ferrite bead/shielded case safety kit) is likely a safer option than a cordless landline: Cordless Phones: Even More Dangerous Than Cell Phones?
Note3: Since low-radiation tech is suppressed in the US (to sustain the mainstream brainwashing/disinformation that, "wireless tech is completely safe, buy more!"), it's generally better to purchase from outside the US (where the truth is more generally known/honored). As such, however, there may be some configuration you will need to do, in order to use these phones with both Eco Mode and Eco Mode Plus enabled in the US. Eg, this was posted by an Amazon reviewer, "The phone was shipped with a Europe to US plug adapter. Once you put the phone in ECO DECT mode, the phone automatically reduces its transmission power (low range and lower radiation) and when the phone is not in use it goes into radiation-free mode (no constant radiation exposure). The only painful part was that the phone is setup in German. I downloaded the English manual online and figured out how to change the language on the phone. The phone is definitely worth purchasing if you are concerned with emf exposure."
Check out these EMF-reducing products (follow recommendations above and use these only as a last resort :)
Find Hot-Spots in Your Neighborhood (Put in your address and get the locations of towers/antenna's near you)
Get your home, office, and classroom EMF levels surveyed by someone knowledgeable about ElectroSmog, who also has the proper meters to measure the 4 different kinds. Implement as many of their suggestions as you can, as soon as possible. Or, get your own meters and learn how to use them.
Keep this page alive and updated as our technology advances and proliferates! (Figuring out what instruments to buy to do direct research, purchasing those, doing the testing, as well as sorting through all the research and claims of others...to find the Truth...then honing all that info down to just what you need...and keeping both the info and the links on this page updated...takes a LOT of time/energy — research donations deeply appreciated!)
LIGHT / CIRCADIAN RHYTHMS / SLEEP CYCLES:
* First, take the free Circadian Rhythm Test to assess your sleep cycles
* I read for a half-hour each morning using the bluewave, goLITE P2 light that I got on sale at Costco online. This gets me reading more, and has definite positive effects on my sleep at night, and on my mood, motivation and energy levels during the day (especially in the winter).
LIGHT / SOUND / MUSIC:
* MindFit -- Uses sychnronized patterns of light, sound and soothing music (Brainwave Entrainment, Binaural Beats) to put you into a very relaxed state...and, optionally, music and messages you choose (altered-state programming) to help you fall asleep/sleep deeply through the night, solve problems in your dreams, address insomnia via the subconscious, wake up feeling refreshed and energized, etc. (Actually, there are other messages and altered-state programming sessions you can use for many things in addition to sleep/relaxation.)
* Fresh leaf tea of Lemon Balm, Melissa (Melissa officinalis) - 2-4 teaspoons of dried herb per cup of boiling water
* Root tea, tinture or extract of Valerian (Valeriana officinalis,
Valeriana sitchensis) 30 min before going to bed - or, 150-300
milligrams of a standardized extract (.8% valeric acid)
TOGETHER: 160 milligrams of valerian + 80 milligrams of lemon balm extracts
* Fresh or dried whole plant tea of Passion Flower, Maypop (Passiflora incarnata)
* Dried flower tea of German, Hungarian, or Wild Chamomile (Chamomilla recutita, Matricaria chamomillla)
* Tea from California Poppy flower petals - add handful to cup of water after it stops boiling
* Tea of flowers of Lavander (Lavadula angustifolia) - 2 teaspoons to cup of boiling water (honey optional)
* Whole plant tea of oats (Avena sativa)
* Catnip (Nepeta cataria) tea 45 min before bedtime
* Smoke or make tea of fruits of Hops (Humulus lupulus)
* Rooibos (Aspalathus linearis)
* Strong tea of Mad-dog Skullcap (Scutellaria lateriflora)
* Weak leaf tea of Virgin's Bower (Clematis virginiana)
* Pink or Large Yellow Lady's-Slipper, Moccasin-Flower, American Valerian (Cypripedium acaule)
* Tea of whole plant of Feverfew (Chrysanthemum parthenium, Tanactum parthenium)
* Leaf tea of Motherwort (Leonurus cardiaca)
* Leaf tea of Bee-Balm, Oswego Tea (Monada didyma)
* Leaf tea of Wild Bergamot, Purple Bee-balm (Monarda fistulosa)
* Leaf tea of Perilla (Perilla frutescens)
* (Root?) Tea of Figwort (Scrophularia marilandica)
For Insomnia: passionflower + valerian + California poppy
For Anxiety that may cause insomnia: California poppy + hawthorn + hops
Stressful situations that could contribute to insomnia: 2 parts each of chamomile, lemon balm and linden with 1 part orange peel
2 parts each passionflower and California poppy
1 part each St. John's wort, skull cap, and lavendar
* Breath-centered meditation
* Relaxation exercises (tense [breathe in] and release [breathe out] each body part from feet to head)
(Here's good resource if you want help with the above and/or stress management in general: psmservices.com)
* Try using reverse psychology on yourself: Some experts recommend getting up if you're laying there unable to sleep for more than 30-45 minutes. In those cases, you might try just giving up trying to sleep. For example: get up, turn on the light, and read or go do something until you feel sleepy and able to fall asleep. Alternatively, you might attempt to do an "all-nighter." (You'll likely run out of steam eventually and feel sleepy again. Either way, at least you won't be lying there getting more agitated because you can't sleep...and, you'll probably get something useful done, too. :)
* Relaxing music along with any/all of the above
(Worry about not sleeping keeps you up: Remind yourself that it won't be the end of the world if you don't get all the sleep you think you need. You will be fine tomorrow even if you get no sleep. Sometimes, I actually function *better* on little or no sleep. Too much sleep can leave you "groggy," down, or, ironically, sleepy. Sleep deprivation, on the other hand, is a natural intervention for depression and can have positive effects to mood and energy level when used sporadically.)
* L-Tryptophan (500mg along with vitamin B6, niacinamide, and magnesium and hour or so before bedtime)
* Melatonin (5-20mg per night before going to sleep; also for reseting a jetlag-ed body)
* Inositol (lethicin, liver, wheat germ, brown rice, citrus fruits, nuts, cereals) - if can't get in natural form (best), then take in the form of myo-inositol to a maximum of 1,000mg daily
* Add 1-3 drops each of lavender (Lavandula) oil and lemon balm (melissa) to bath or bed clothes before bed
BEWARE: Spanish lavendar can be stimulating...ask and try to see which you have
* 1-2 drops of lavender or chamomile oil in bath; follow bath with tea
of 1 teaspoon each of St. John's wort and chamomile, then bed
* Place dried leaves of Mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris) or Western
Mugwort, White Sage, Cudweed (Artemisia ludoviciana) between pillow and
pillow case or next to bed
* Fill pillow with oatstraw or hops
* Use Vetiver ("the oil of tranquility") in massage and baths
* Orange, mandarin
* 2-3 drops of essential oil of camomile to bath water to soothe emotional problems
Add 1-3 cups of chamomile tea to bath water
Jin Shin Jyutsu says to work energetically to resolve disharmony in the Heart and Liver energies. I can't do those flows on you from here, but maybe you have access to someone who can do something similar?
Here's a simple JSJ flow you can do on yourself (I recommended this to a friend who had stiffness in her leg, and was also anxious and couldn't sleep. This flow will also help joint pains, arthritis, rheumatism, neuralgia..as well as calming nervousness to bring on sleep):
1) Put opposite hand on the inside side of the ankle of the leg you're working on
2) Put same side hand in the indentation just behind the outside ankle of the leg you're working on
3) Touch lightly with just 3 fingers (1st, 2nd and 3rd of each hand)
4) Hold until the pulses in both hands synchronize (sense the pulse in the 3 fingers of your right hand, sense the pulse in the 3 fingers of your left hand, allow them to come into harmony = beating at the same rate at the same time)
5) Repeat for the other leg if desired
FOODS (avoid heavy meals late at night):
* Basil, thyme, tangerines, tomatoes
* Cinnamon, spearmint, red pepper, pennyroyal, oranges
* Apricot jam
* Drink a glass of warm apple cider vinegar with honey 30 min before bed
* Cow's milk (warm if you like)
* Yuan Zhi: Polygala tenuifolia, Chinese senega root, polygala = calms
spirit and quiets heart, especially when too much thinking (in cases of
anxiety, insomnia, palpitations or forgetfulness)
* Ren Shen: Panax ginseng, ginseng root, "man root" = benefits the Heart
Qi and calms the spirit (in cases of anxiety, insomnia, palpitations or
* Ye Jiao Teng: Polygonus multiflorum, fleeceflower vine
* Shu Di Huang: Rehmannia glutinosa, Chinese foxglove root cooked in wine
* Wu Wei Zi: Schisandra chinensis, schisandra fruit
* Suan Zao Ren: Ziziphus spinosa, sour jujube seed
Thought for Today: Worry is just needless suffering. When
you decide you've suffered enough, ask yourself: "Can I do anything
about this now?" If so, go do it. If not, banish the
worrying thoughts from your mind. Anything else is just self
torture, robbing you of the richness of life (or sleep & dreams!) and serving no one.
Reclaim Your Brain - the most powerful tool for health/healing/relaxation that exists!
(I use and recommend this fun tool, developed after 30+ years of research
by psychologist Dr. Patrick Porter, Ph.D, to reprogram the unconscious mind)
<< back to other Natural Remedies >>